I read a few days ago that it takes 10 years to reach your financial goal and if you reach it before that, your goal was set too low… Say what??
I had a very aggressive goal for this year but when I read those lines, I realised we were playing small ball. That may not be 100% true or it may not apply to everyone, but it got me thinking…
Some business owners start the year without any goals, targets or aspirations for their businesses. Many don’t even know how much their business made during the year.
Here are 4 steps to help you create a winning game plan for 2022:
- Take a minute or two to be grateful for everything that happened this year in your business and in your personal life. Health and family are my biggest reasons to be thankful for every minute of my life. Then comes WeBalloonz. I am grateful for the relationships, for the amazing clients we have, the tough experiences that made us stronger and better this year. I am grateful for the opportunities, for creativity, for our work ethic and resilience.
- What happened in your business in 2021 that you are incredibly grateful for?
- What happened in your business in 2021 that you wish never happened? What did you learn? How will you avoid it or improve on it?
- Take a moment to forgive and forget: Forgive yourself for the mistakes you made, for the work you didn’t do, for the wrong decisions you made. Understand that everything happens for a reason! Either you learn or you profit, but you never lose. 🙂
If you completed the first four steps, you are ready for the fun part. Be sure to be in a great mood for the next portion and WRITE IT ALL DOWN!
- Becoming successful: What does success mean to you? What will you be doing when you achieve success? Success to me, at this point in my life, is the ability to do the things we want to do as a family without worrying if we can afford it or if we have the time for it or that we have “bosses that will allow us the time” to do it. In short, making memories for my kids and family.
- How will you feel? What will success give you? What would need to happen for you to know you are successful?
- How much money do you want to make from your balloon business in 2022? How much is that a month? How much is that per weekend? How many jobs on average do you need to book every weekend to achieve your goal?
- To attract the number of jobs required to achieve your goal, does your work need to improve? If yes, what specifically needs improvement?
- What steps will you take to improve in those areas?
- What new habits are you introducing to achieve your goals in 2022. I’ve always loved to work early morning with no distractions, I will introduce that habit back in 2022
- What will you need to let go of to achieve your goal? In 2021 I learned that although I could do most of WeBalloonz’ tasks, I didn’t have to do it alone. 🙂 Giving up control of everything has allowed me to have more time for other things, business and personal.
8- Imagine yourself again on Dec 31st, 2022, talking about your success and everything you were able to accomplish. What exactly are you saying on Dec 31st, 2022?
I also recommend that you implement quarterly reviews of your progress to see if you are on pace to meet your target(s). If not, implement a game plan that will put you back on track. The idea is to ensure that we are making progress and if we’re not, that we curve whatever it is that is impeding us from meeting our goal(s) by giving us the time to correct it and at the same time holding us accountable.
These questions are critical for your success whether you complete the exercise or not. These and even more profound questions are worth asking frequently. It will contribute to your personal and business growth.
This may be a lot so feel free to work on the first part today and the second part in a couple days. Just remember that what really matters is who you become in the process of achieving your goals.